You are here
Summer Start Orientation
Summer Start Orientation
Fall orientation, or, “Welcome Weekend,” as it is better known, is the four-day orientation that takes places leading up to the start of fall classes August 20 to 23. All first year students (commuters, summer start and ACT 101/EOP included) are required to participate in the Welcome Weekend experience. Welcome Weekend takes place following move-in, so students will already be on campus.
New first year student commuter students are only required to attend orientation on Aug. 21 and 22. Commuter check-in takes place Aug. 21, from 9 to 9:45 a.m. on the second floor of Haas Auditorium.
Welcome Weekend is a combination of fun, interactive, and informative workshops and activities led by professional speakers, University staff, and current students. Welcome Weekend is designed to jump start your new life as a Husky, providing you with all the tools, information, and resources necessary to make a smooth transition. Expect to laugh, cry, be silly and grow! We will challenge you to move out of your comfort zones and expand your horizons. Along with this challenge, though, you will be greatly supported!
Welcome Weekend is for students only. While your parents/guardians will be home cheering you on, we will keep you busy and active so you quickly settle into your new home! So look forward to community service opportunities, comedians, hypnotists, game shows and much, much more during Welcome Weekend!
If you miss a mandatory event, you will be required to make it up during the first two weeks of classes.
Thursday, Aug. 20
- 6 to 6:30 p.m. — Class of 2019 Welcome Fest, Quad — All the loudest, craziest Husky fans pack the quad for tons of free prizes from local businesses and to cheer for the husky athletes! Take your chance at the climbing wall that is over 25 feet tall!!! First 200 guests get a free Husky spirit prize! Get ready to party with the best DJ!
- 8 to 8:50 p.m. — Residence Life Wing Meeting I, Residence Halls — Meet your CA and fellow wing residents. Get your community living experience started right!
- 9 to 10:30 p.m. — Mocktails & Mayhem, KUB Ballroom — Thirsty? Come try BU’s version of a “sex on the beach!” Bored!? Come laugh your butt off with the hilariously funny improv comedy group, Mission IMPROVable! Who knows, you may even end up as part of a skit! Mocktails & Mayhem is an evening of unfiltered FUN and an open “bar” of non-alcoholic drinks. Seats are usually filled within the first 10 minutes!
Friday, Aug. 21
- 7 to 9:30 a.m. — Breakfast, Scranton Commons
- 9 to 9:45 a.m. — Commuter Check-In, second floor of Haas Center — This check-in is for students commuting from home, only. Resident students do not need to come to this.
- 10 to 10:45 a.m. — Welcome Meeting — What is Welcome Weekend? What happens? How will this prepare me to be a great Husky? This workshop covers everything you need to know to get the most out of Welcome Weekend experience!
- OWL Workshop 1 — Meet your OWL, your personal host for the entire Welcome Weekend experience, as well as 20 or so fellow new students who will help you make the best and biggest changes of your life!
- Noon to 12:45 p.m. — One is Too Many — Do you think being assaulted couldn’t happen to you? Find out more about “rape culture” and how you have the power to be a part of an important change in the college environment! Because one rape or sexual assault is one too many!
- 1 to 1:45 p.m. — Lunch, Scranton Commons
- 2 to 2:45 p.m. — Professional U — Throughout the fall and spring semester, Professional U will be working with you to develop your personalized Career MAP. Through Professional U activities you will explore your strengths, refine your career goals and get connected to successful alumni in career fields that are of interest to you!
- 3 to 3:45 p.m. — Good Works, Summer Assignment Groups
- 4 to 5 p.m. — Optional Campus Tour/Q&A, SSC lobby — Need a refresher on the layout of the land? We got ya! Meet the OWLs for a tour, or any questions about campus. Bring your class schedule if you’d like to see exactly where your classes will be.
- 5 p.m. — Dinner, Scranton Commons
- 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. — Night @ The Rec — Got some athletic skills? Like to work out? Compete with your peers by participating in a variety of fun and physically challenging competitions, 3 point and free throw competitions, Zumba marathons, farm tire flipping, rock climbing wall and much, much more!! Stop in for a bit or stay the whole time!
- 8 to 9 p.m. — Greek Life Open House — If you have an interest in learning more about Greek Life, attend the Greek Life Open House! You’ll learn about service opportunities, community outreach, and the lifelong relationships you can make! Greek Life is more than what you think! Come out to learn more!
- 8:30 to 9:30 p.m. — SafeZone LGBTQA Welcome Reception — BU is a diverse community of ideas, people, thoughts and dreams! If you are interested in learning about our LGBTQA friendly community, stop by this informal reception for snacks and a good time! ALL are welcome!
- 9 to 10:30 p.m. — KUB Ballroom — BUSTED is an ongoing musical comedy series about college life. Follow the lives of a diverse group of students as they navigate their way through the ups and downs of college in pursuit of academic and social success. This is an improvisational show with multiple storylines and musical numbers that is always a welcome back hit! At the end of the show, find out how YOU can audition for a role in this season’s BUSTED shows!
- 9:30 p.m. Movie TBA, KUB Hideaway
Saturday, Aug. 22
- 10 to 10:45 a.m. — Brunch, Scranton Commons
- 11 to 11:30 a.m. — Husky Diversity — Some of the best experiences you will have as a college student are those that come as a result of thinking “outside the box.” As a Husky, you will be challenged to try new experiences and build unfamiliar relationships. BU is preparing you to excel in a diverse world, starting now!
- 11:45 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. — Husky Community Building
- 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. — ‘Husky Cruisers’ Social for Transfer and Commuter Students — Sponsored by Sheetz, gather in the KUB ballroom for food, fun, and games! Get to know your fellow commuter and transfer students and potentially make some carpool connections!
- 1:45 to 2:30 p.m. — Paths to Husky Success, Haas — What is a Dean of Students? What resources are available to you for your success? Where can you go if you need help with conflict or decision-making? The Dean of Students answers these and other questions to keep you on track for success!
- 2:45 to 3:15 p.m. — OWL Workshop 2, assigned classroom
- 5 p.m. — Dinner, Scranton Commons
- 5:15 to 5:45 p.m. — Interested in studying abroad? — Whether just thinking about it or already committed, this workshop covers all you need to know to get the process started!
- 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. — The Amazing Race-Husky style!, meet at Centennial Hall — Think you have what it takes to tough it out in a physically challenging race around the campus? You will have to solve puzzles, perform stunts, and possibly eat gross things! You must have a team of 4 to participate! Prizes awarded to the top three finishers!! Many will try, but only a few will finish…. will your team win?
- 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. — Student Government Open House — If you have ever considered joining student government this informal Open House is for YOU!! No prior experience needed! If you’d like to make a difference in campus activities, concert selection, dining options, and much, much more, this is the event to get you started! Meet your current student government leaders and find out how to make your voice heard! Food and fun!
- 9 to 11 p.m. — Hypnotist Show — This show is the grand finale of Welcome Weekend!!! If you are shy, sit in the back because those in the front end up on stage….hypnotized!!!
Sunday, Aug. 23
- 9 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. — Freshman ETS Assessment — This test is NOT the same as the freshman placement test. ALL freshman are required to participate in this campus-wide assessment. See your OWL for your scheduled time and location.
- 3 to 5 p.m. — Activities & Involvement Fair — BU is a busy, active, engaging place! See for yourself by browsing this fair, which showcases many of the over 200 clubs and organizations BU has to offer! Sign up for what you know you love, and also give something new a chance!
(Rain location is KUB Ballroom)
- 4:30 to 7 p.m. — Dinner, Scranton Commons — Bloomsburg is a great place to establish, or grow your faith! All are welcome to these worship services!
- 6 p.m. — Protestant Campus Ministry Service
- 7 p.m. — Catholic Campus Ministry Service
- 7 p.m. — BU B-I-N-G-O!!! — This is not your grandmother’s game! Did you know BU is known for its BINGO crowd!? Come out to win over $650 worth of BU swag!
- 9 p.m. — Residence Life Wing Meeting II — See your CA for details. This meeting includes your returning upperclassmen neighbors! More friends!