You are here
TRiO Upward Bound Students
TRiO Upward Bound Students
Throughout each school year, TRiO Upward Bound students have an academic tutor at their home school. This individual is responsible for meeting weekly with the students and providing individualized tutoring, guidance, and counseling in academic, career, social or personal matters. These meetings are held after school for two hours each week at the TRiO Upward Bound target schools.
A variety of activities take place based on the needs of the students at each school. (Academic Tutoring, Rigorous Post-Secondary Course Selection, Vocabulary Building, SAT/ACT Preparation, PSSA Preparation, Career Exploration, College Applications, Financial Literacy, Scholarship Searching, Personal Development). Other activities might include participation at a college night or cultural event.
Student groups also volunteer at area elementary schools, food cupboards, animal shelters and libraries. Each school year, the students visit the Bloomsburg University campus during its regular session to receive a brief introduction to college life. TRiO Upward Bound seniors become increasingly interested in this experience as they apply to various colleges and universities.
The TRiO Upward Bound staff assists seniors and their parents in this college review process, and helps prepare college applications and financial aid forms. Students are expected to attend all meetings throughout the school year. Exceptions will be made for illness, family obligations and extracurricular school activities (band, play and sports) provided that a balance is achieved between TRiO UB and other commitments. Prior approval must be received in order to be given an excused absence. If students meet their obligation by attending Center Meetings, they will be invited to apply to attend the summer program.
If you are active in a club or sport, be sure to ask a member of the TRiO UB staff for a Participation Letter that can be personalized for any coach or advisor explaining the TRiO Upward Bound program and the importance of splitting your time between both groups during a season or marking period.
- Berwick HS, Wednesdays from 2:50 pm to 4:50 pm, Library, TRiO UB Staff, Nicole C.
- Bloomsburg HS, Wednesdays from 3:30 pm to 4:30 pm, BU WSSC #258 TRiO UB Office, TRiO UB Staff, Abby K.
- Mahanoy HS, Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 2:30 pm to 3:30 pm, Room 134, Gracie G.
- Milton HS, Mondays from 3:30 pm to 5:30 pm, Room #204, Mr. Davis
- Mount Carmel HS, Mondays and Wednesdays from 2:20 pm to 3:20 pm, Library, Mr. Kozlowski
- North Schuylkill HS, Tuesdays from 2:45 to 4:45 pm, Library, Jenn C.
- Shamokin HS, Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2:30 pm to 3:30 pm, Room C-327, Mr. Dusick
- Shikellamy HS, Tuesdays from 2:45 pm to 3:45 pm, Room 176, Mr. McHale
- Pottsville HS, Thursdays from 2:45 pm to 4:45 pm, Room 5, Ms. Fehr