Bloomsburg University's TRiO Upward Bound
TRiO Upward Bound provides high school students with opportunities and assistance in exploring their potential for academic, social and personal growth. Its purpose is to provide equal access to post-secondary education for high school students by giving them adequate preparation. These goals are achieved by providing students with developmental work in areas where they may need help, enrichment where they are strong and exposure to new areas where they have yet to be challenged.
Through tutoring for grade improvement, counseling to address career and personal matters, counseling on the college admissions and financial aid processes and training in test-taking skills, students gain the confidence and skills needed to succeed.
TRiO Upward Bound hosts annual fall forum
BU’s TRiO Upward Bound hosted their annual Fall Forum for current Bounders and their parents and guardians. The forum included a variety of breakout sessions specifically designed for prospective first generation college students and their families, including a TRiO alumni panel featuring Jorge Maldonado, Bloomsburg High School ’07, Bloomsburg University ’12, currently working as a federal officer for the US Supreme Court in Washington, DC and Marie Ripa, Mt. Carmel High School ’08, Brown University ’12, current working as a teacher intern for Achievement First Charter School in Brooklyn, N.Y.
Breakout sessions included:
- Senior Workshop: Where are you now, where do you want to be, what do you need to get there? Presented by Tia Dreckman, assistant director
- Underclassmen Workshop: Rigorous Curriculum: Why AP matters and other academic truths Presented by Jennifer Cughan, academic coordinator
- Skill builder Workshop: Am I being professional? Presented by Andrea Obert, graduate assistant, Elementary & Secondary School Counseling
- Skill builder Workshop: Putting your best Face(book) forward Presented by Katie Stapleton, graduate assistant, Elementary & Secondary School Counseling
- TRiO Upward Bound: The Big Picture, Parent/Guardian Panel & Alumni Panels, Facilitated by Kate Bauman, director