Fountain photo - Academic Quad

Transfer Admissions

Application Requirements

To be considered for transfer admission, prospective students must submit the following credentials:

  • The official application with $35 non-refundable fee to the Office of Admissions.
  • Official high school transcripts - sent by the student's high school.
  • Official SAT or ACT scores - sent directly from the testing service or the student's high school (if transferring with less than 24 credits). If the student graduated high school more than two years ago, they do not need to submit SAT or ACT scores.
  • Official college transcripts from all institution(s) the student attended - sent directly by the student's previous institution(s).

Admissions Timeline

Transfer applicants are reviewed on a rolling basis until the major or semester reaches capacity and is closed. Prospective transfers are encouraged to apply early, as many majors fill up quickly and admission is competitive.

  • The Nursing application deadline is Mar. 1st (students are only reviewed for fall semesters).
  • Applicants for competitive majors (Speech Pathology, Biology, and Health Science majors) are encouraged to apply early, as these majors fill up quickly and admission is competitive.
  • Applicants to the Nursing program and competitive majors will receive their admission decision by June.
  • Transfer admission for the ASL/Interpreting program is wait list only.
  • We do not accept transfer applicants for the Medical Imaging program.

Admission Criteria

Applicants who have earned more than 24 credits will be evaluated for admission based on their college transcripts. Students who have not completed 24 credits at the college level will be evaluated on their high school and college transcripts and must meet the minimum admissions guidelines for freshman.

  • A college GPA of a 2.5 (or higher) is required for most majors.
  • A college GPA of a 3.0 is required for most applicants to programs in the College of Education
Ask a question

Have transfer questions?

Learn about our transfer process by visiting campus for a Transfer Day!

You can also contact our transfer admissions counselor Maramonne Houseknecht,

Will My Credits Transfer?

Credits you’ve earned at a two-year or four-year college will likely count at BU, provided they meet the following criteria:

  • The college(s) you’ve earned credit from are regionally accredited.
  • You earned at least a “C."
  • If you completed an A.A. or an A.S. degree from a PA community college, or you transfer from a PASSHE university, you could transfer in courses with grades a “D” or higher. Follow up with our Transfer Counselor for more information.

A preliminary evaluation of your credits will be completed once you are admitted.

If you would like an early look at how your courses might transfer to BU before gaining admission, please use the following tools:

Where Can I Live?

As an incoming transfer student at BU, you have plenty of housing options – both on and off campus.

On-Campus Housing

Your options include one of our eight residence halls or four upperclassmen apartments. For information housing, please visit the Residence Life website.

Remember, on-campus housing is now guaranteed for admitted transfer students!

Off-Campus Housing

In addition to on-campus housing, you may also live off-campus in one of many student communities surrounding the BU campus.

For more information on off-campus housing, please visit the Dean of Students website, where you’ll find property listings and other relevant information.

Articulation Agreements?

Dual admission programs at schools such as Bucks CCC, Luzerne and Lehigh County CC, Harrisburg Area CC, Montgomery CCC and Northampton CC guarantee students admission to BU (excluding, but not limited to, nursing, ASL, Engineering 3+2) upon completion of an A.A. or A.S. in an approved major between the CC and BU. Students must also meet the standard admission requirements for the BU major. Students should contact the transfer center or advising area at the CC to start the dual admission process.

Program-to-Program (P2P) — Students who have completed an A.A. or A.S. degree in certain majors, from a PA CC, may be admitted into the parallel major at BU (i.e. computer science-to-computer science), will complete the last 60 credits at BU. Admission is based on GPA.

STEM Transfer — As a student you'll find opportunities for technology internships, clinical experiences or science research, including undergraduate research opportunities. These experiences will give you an edge in your career, and along the way you'll be able to take pride in making a difference — for the community.

What Can I Get Involved In?

Interested in getting involved? BU is home to over 250 student organizations that you’ll have access to as an incoming transfer student. Our student organizations include:

  • Club and intramural sports
  • Fraternities and Sororities
  • Musical and performing arts groups
  • Academic groups and honor societies
  • Political organizations and the Community Government Association (CGA)
  • Community service groups

You can find a full listing of all our clubs and organizations on the Student Affairs website.

Terry and JoAnn Zeigler Scholarship

Terry and JoAnn Zeigler Transfer Scholarship

Recipients may receive up to $2,000 per semester, up to five semesters while attending Bloomsburg University.

Scholarship Requirements:

  • attend a PA community college
  • be a PA resident
  • complete at least 45 credits
  • have financial need as demonstrated by FAFSA
  • pursue a business major
  • have a 3.0 or higher GPA
  • complete required essay