Special Education Graduate Programs
There continues to be a significant need for dually certified special educators and for special education and special education related field supervisors nationally across many settings including:
- public schools
- intermediate units
- private schools
- state centers
- adjudicated environments
Graduate students enrolled in these programs experience a combination of content knowledge as well as practical application through in-class practice coupled with numerous field experiences.
Depending on the graduate program of study, graduate students also apply content knowledge, skills and dispositions while:
- student teaching in the public schools
- or through internships with supervisors of special education in school districts
- or other educational settings, or through internships and practicums in public schools or in related services’ environments.
Certification with or without the Master's Degree Program
BU's Department of Exceptionality Programs offers four different certification programs at the graduate level with the option of taking additional coursework for a master’s degree:
- For graduate students seeking initial teacher certification, the graduate program of study is the Special Education (PK-8) and Early Childhood Education (PK-4) Dual Certification (with the option of a Master of Education).
- For graduate students who already have a teaching license in a discipline other than special education and are seeking an advanced teacher certification in special education, the two programs are Special Education (PK-8) Certification and Special Education (7-12) Certification (both programs with the option of a Master of Education).
- The Special Education Supervisory Certificate Program is for graduate students who already have special education teacher certification (with the option of a Master of Science in Special Education; see below).
Master's Degree Program
BU's Department of Exceptionality Programs also offers a master’s degree program that does not lead to teacher certification:
- The Master of Science in Special Education is for graduate students who want to pursue the master’s degree in special education without acquiring initial or further teacher education certification. This program is for graduate students who already have their special education certification, or do not want teacher certification.
- This program is also offered to graduate students seeking a master’s degree in special education while pursuing their Special Education Supervisory Certificate.