Exit Procedures for Graduate Program
1) A cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or better.
2) Completion of all other requirements as identified in Policy 3810 and College of Education Policy 3.1 and the Initial Teacher Certification Graduate Program and the Advanced Teacher Certification Graduate Program Packets.
The following Exit criteria apply to students enrolled in the Initial Teacher Certification Graduate Program:
1) Demonstration of competency in Student Teaching as described by PDE 354 Standards and supported by:
Written evaluations by cooperating teachers
Written evaluations by university supervisors
Grades of "C" or better (C minus does not meet this criterion)
2) In order to receive Pennsylvania Department of Education Instructional Level I certification*, candidates must successfully complete the following Pennsylvania Educators Certification Tests (PECT):
Special Education PK-8 (Modules 1 & 2) and ...
Grades PK-4: Core and Professional Knowledge (Modules 1, 2 & 3)
If you plan on teaching in a state other than Pennsylvania, make sure you are aware of the state's certification test requirements. It's suggested you complete certification in Pennsylvania first. Reciprocal agreements exist with many other states. If you do not have the initial certificate there exists no agreement.
Advanced Certification Graduate Program: If you are currently certified in education, your culminating course will be the practicum. Depending on which advanced certification* you are seeking, you will only need to take the PECT Special Education PK-8 (Modules 1 & 2) or the PECT Special Education 7-12 (Modules 1 & 2).
* Note: Achieving the Master of Education is separate from teacher certification.