You are here
Office of New Student Orientation
Office of New Student Orientation
***All events in bold are mandatory*** If you miss a mandatory event, you will be required to make it up during the first two weeks of classes.
Thursday, Aug 25
- 6 to 6:30 p.m. — Class of 2020 Welcome Fest, Quad. All the loudest, craziest Husky fans pack the quad for tons of free prizes from local businesses and to cheer for the husky athletes! Take your chance at the climbing wall that is over 25 feet tall!!! Bring $10 if you’d like to purchase the official student section t-shirt for all athletic events! First 200 guests get a free Husky spirit prize! Get ready to party with the best DJ!
- 8 to 8:50 p.m. — Residence Life Wing Meeting I, Resident Hall wing. Meet your CA and fellow wing residents! Get your community living experience started right!
- 9 to 10:30 p.m. — Mocktails & Mayhem, KUB Ballroom. Thirsty? Come try BU’s version of a “sex on the beach!” Bored!? Come laugh your butt off with the hilariously funny comedian, Geoff Keith! Who knows, you may even end up as part of the show! Mocktails & Mayhem is an evening of unfiltered FUN and an open “bar” of non-alcoholic drinks. Seats are usually filled within the first 10 minutes!
Friday, Aug. 26
- 7 to 9:30 a.m. — Breakfast, Scranton Commons
- 9 to 9:45 a.m. — Commuter Check-In, 2nd floor of Haas. This check-in is for students commuting from home, only. Resident students do not need to attend.
- 10 to 10:45 a.m. — Welcome Meeting, Haas. What is Welcome Weekend? What happens? How will this prepare me to be a great Husky? This workshop covers everything you need to know to get the most out of Welcome Weekend experience!
- 11 to 11:45 a.m. — OWL Workshop 1, OWL Workshop location. Meet your OWL, your personal host for the entire Welcome Weekend experience, as well as 20 or so fellow new students who will help you make the best and biggest changes of your life!
- Noon to 12:45 p.m. — One is Too Many, Haas. Do you think being assaulted couldn’t happen to you? Find out more about “rape culture” and how you have the power to be a part of an important change in the college environment! Because one rape or sexual assault is one too many!
- 1 to 1:45 p.m. —: Lunch, Scranton Commons
- 2 to 2:45 p.m. — Paths to Husky Success, Haas. What is a Dean of Students? What resources are available to you for your success? Where can you go if you need help with conflict or decision-making? The Dean of Students answers these and other questions to keep you on track for success!
- 3 to 3:45 p.m. — OWL Workshop 2, OWL Workshop location
- 4 to 5 p.m. — Optional Tour/Campus Q & A, meet at SSC lobby. Need a refresher on the layout of the land? We got ya! Meet the OWLs for a tour, or any questions about campus. Bring your class schedule if you’d like to see exactly where your classes will be.
- 5 p.m. — Dinner, Scranton Commons
- 6 to 7 p.m. — College of Science & Technology Ice Cream Social, Quad. If you are a student in the College of Science and Technology, join your Dean, faculty, and fellow majors for an ice cream bar!
- 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. — Night @ the Rec, Student Rec Center. Got some athletic skills? Like to work out? Compete with your peers by participating in a variety of fun and physically challenging competitions, 3 point and free throw competitions, Zumba marathons, farm tire flipping, rock climbing wall and much, much more!! Stop in for a bit or stay the whole time!
- 9 to 10:30 p.m. — BUSTED Show!, KUB Ballroom. BUSTED is an ongoing musical comedy series about college life. Follow the lives of a diverse group of students as they navigate their way through the ups and downs of college in pursuit of academic and social success. This is an improvisational show with multiple storylines and musical numbers! At the end of the show, find out how YOU can audition for a role in BUSTED!
Saturday, Aug. 27
- 10 to 10:45 a.m. — Brunch, Scranton Commons
- 11 to 11:30 a.m. — Husky Diversity, Haas. Some of the best experiences you will have as a college student are those that come as a result of thinking “outside the box.” As a Husky, you will be challenged to try new experiences and build unfamiliar relationships. BU is preparing you to excel in a diverse world, starting now!
- 11:45 to 12:30 p.m. —: Husky Community Building, OWL Workshop Location
- 12:45 to 1:45 p.m. — ‘Husky Cruisers’ Social for Transfer and Commuter Students, KUB 345A. Get to know your fellow commuter and transfer students over food, fun, and games! Tip: make some carpool connections!
(Note: this event is for commuters and transfer students only. Resident students have a break at this time! Relax and connect with your new campus and friends!)
- 2 to 3:15 p.m. — Reality & Resources, Haas. College happens inside and outside of the classroom. This student-led workshop covers all the topics you need to know in order to make your first year, your best year!
- 4 to 5 p.m. — OWL Workshop 3, OWL Workshop location
- 5 p.m. &— Dinner, Scranton Commons
- 6:30 to 7 p.m. — Husky Ninja Warrior Challenge!, Centennial Hall. You’ve seen it on TV! Now see it on campus! Think you have what it takes to tough it out in a physically challenging race around the quad? You will solve puzzles, perform stunts, attack the obstacle course…. All while having paint thrown at you by your peers! If you’re not up for the challenge, come to be a throw paint! Prizes awarded to our top finishers!! Many will try, but few will finish…. will you be the Husky Ninja Warrior?
- 7 to 8 p.m. — Student Government Open House, KUB 345B. If you have ever considered joining student government this informal Open House is for YOU!! No prior experience needed! If you’d like to make a difference in campus activities, concert selection, dining options, and much, much more, this is the event to get you started! Meet your current student government leaders and find out how to make your voice heard!
- 8 to 11 p.m. — Hypnotist Show, Haas. This show is the grand finale of Welcome Weekend!!! If you are shy, sit in the back because those in the front end up on stage….hypnotized!!!
Sunday, Aug. 28
- 1 to 3 p.m. — Activities & Involvement Fair, Quad. BU is a busy, active, engaging place! See for yourself by browsing this fair, which showcases many of the over 200 clubs and organizations BU has to offer! Sign up for what you know you love, and also give something new a chance!
(Rain location is KUB Ballroom)
- 3:30 to 4 p.m. — Study Abroad interest meeting, Sutliff Hall Rm. 102.Interested in studying abroad? Whether just thinking about it or already committed, this workshop covers all you need to know to get the process started!
- 4 to 5 p.m. — Greek Life Open House, McCormick Hall 1303. If you have an interest in learning more about Greek Life, attend the Greek Life Open House! You’ll learn about service opportunities, community outreach, and the lifelong relationships you can make! Greek Life is more than what you think! Come out to learn more!
- 5 to 6 p.m. — SafeZone LGBTQA Welcome Reception, McCormick Rm. 2303. BU is a diverse community of ideas, people, thoughts and dreams! If you are interested in learning about our LGBTQA friendly community, stop by this informal reception for snacks and a good time! ALL are welcome!
- 4:30 to 7 p.m. — Dinner, Scranton Commons
- 6 to 7 p.m. — Welcome Weekend Worship, locations below.Bloomsburg is a great place to establish, or grow your faith! All are welcome to these worship services!
Protestant Campus Ministry Service, KUB Rm. 230 Catholic Campus Ministry Service, KUB Rm. 345A
- 7:15 to 8:30 p.m. — BU B-I-N-G-OOOOOO!!!!!, Kehr Union Ballroom. This is not your grandmother’s game! Did you know BU is known for its BINGO crowd!? Come out to win hundreds of dollars in BU swag!
- 9 p.m. — Residence Life Wing Meeting II , Residence hall wing. This meeting includes your returning upperclassmen neighbors! More friends! See your CA for details.