You are here
Joining Upward Bound
Joining Upward Bound
Eligibility criteria for the TRIO Upward Bound program are established by the U.S. Department of Education. Students might be eligible for the program if:
- They attend one of the program's eight target high schools: Berwick, Mahanoy, Milton, Mount Carmel, North Schuylkill, Pottsville, Shamokin, and Shikellamy
- They live in a household where the parent(s)/guardian(s) does not have a bachelor's (four year) degree and/or their household income falls within the program's federal guidelines.
- They are interested in attending college immediately after high school to pursue a bachelor's (four year) degree.
- They have an academic need.
- They are willing and able to attend after school, on campus, and summer activities.
- Berwick High School — Academic Tutor: Ms. Zluchowski, School Counselor: Ms. Zluchowski
- Mahanoy Area High School — Academic Tutor: Ms. Renn, School Counselor: Mr. DiCasimirro
- Milton High School — Academic Tutor: Ms. A. Smith, School Counselor: Ms. Fannick
- Mount Carmel High School — Academic Tutor: Mr. Kozlowski, School Counselor: Ms. Nestico
- North Schuylkill High School — Academic Tutor: Ms. Sausser, School Counselor: Ms. Lorady
- Pottsville High School — Academic Tutor: Ms. Fehr, School Counselor: Ms. Conville
- Shamokin High School — Academic Tutor: Ms. Kulenguskey, School Counselor: Mr. Weller
- Shikellamy High School — Academic Tutor: Ms. Monahan, School Counselor: Ms. Rickert
The Application Process
Upward Bound has a limited number of openings from each target school and works with each school's guidance office to arrange recruitment sessions and presentations, where applications are distributed to interested students. Interested students and their parents/guardians can also obtain an application packet at any time by contacting the office at 570-389-4280, emailing the student's name and complete mailing address, or contacting the school contacts listed below.
Once the student's completed application is received, the Upward Bound director will be in touch regarding the next steps of the intake process.