Balance your weekend fun with “Cirque Chinois” at BU
For immediate release: Nov. 7, 2012
BLOOMSBURG — The National Circus of the People’s Republic of China will perform the show, “Cirque Chinois,” at Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania on Friday, Nov. 16, at 8 p.m. in the Haas Center for the Arts, Mitrani Hall. This show is part of BU’s 27th season of the Celebrity Artist Series. Tickets cost $34.50 for adults, $19.50 for children and $17 for BU students.
The National Circus was founded in 1953, making it one of the longest-running circus companies in China. The troupe is known for unique acts, such as Great Teeterboard, Grand Flying Trapeze and Group Contortion. Several performers have been recognized for their talents, including Li Liping, the first Chinese winner of the Golden Clown award, and Xia Juhua, who has served as chairwoman of the International Chinese Circus Society since the early 1980s. As a whole, the company has won more than 20 awards – including gold and silver medals – at circus festivals all over the world.
During the 1980s, the National Circus began to focus less on animal acts and more on human stunts. This new style influenced other troupes, including early members of Cirque du Soleil, who invited coaches from the National Circus to instruct them. The troupe has performed in 80 countries.
Upcoming productions for BU’s Celebrity Artist Series’ 2012-13 season include:
- The Midtown Men, Sunday, Dec. 9, 7:30 p.m., Haas Center for the Arts, Mitrani Hall. Tickets: $34.50
- Monty Python’s “Spamalot,” Friday, Feb. 8, 2013, 8 p.m., Haas Center for the Arts, Mitrani Hall. Tickets: $34.50
- Luciana Souza, Sunday, Feb. 17, 2013, 7:30 p.m., in Carver Hall, Kenneth S. Gross Auditorium. Tickets: $29.50
- DALA, Friday, April 5, 2013, 7:30 p.m., Carver Hall, Kenneth S. Gross Auditorium. Tickets: $29.50
- Kathy Mattea, Friday, April 26, 2013, 8 p.m., Haas Center for the Arts, Mitrani Hall. Tickets: $34.50
- Nai-Ni Chen with the Ahn Trio, Saturday, May 11, 2013, 8 p.m., Haas Center for the Arts, Mitrani Hall. Tickets: $34.50
For tickets or more information, visit www.bloomu.edu/CAS or call the box office at (570) 389-4409.
Bloomsburg University is one of 14 universities in the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education. BU serves approximately 10,000 students, offering comprehensive programs of study in the colleges of Education, Business, Liberal Arts and Science and Technology.