Welcome to Bloomsburg ... now, let's get you settled

Welcome to Bloomsburg ... now, let's get you settled

Bloomsburg University We hope your BU experience will be memorable, as well as rewarding. The Office of International Education Services is ready to assist you throughout your campus endeavors.

What you should do first ...

  • Attend orientation or arrange a visit or appointment with the orientation office
  • Confirm housing arrangements
  • Arrange to meet advisor
  • Provide the Office of International Education Services with copies of passport, I-94, I-20 or DS-2019, and other applicable forms
  • Visit Student Health Center to confirm health records have been received
  • Obtain student identification card at Residence Life, Elwell Hall
  • Arrange meal plan (Must be completed by the end of the 1st week of classes)
  • Purchase books (University Store)
  • If necessary, purchase health, hospitalization, repatriation, and personal property insurance
  • Pay tuition and application fees (due after drop/add)
  • The business office (bursar) requires all fees for which the student is responsible (may include room, board, tuition, and fees) must be paid in full within the first two weeks of the semester. Waivers or adjustments to tuition and/or fees will not be processed by the business office until all other applicable student obligations are satisfied in full.

    Unmet financial obligations will result in a financial hold. Registration for future semesters will not be possible until this hold is satisfied. In addition, the student will be unable to receive transcripts and/or diploma (please reference PRP 5361).

    What you will need when moving to BU ...

    Computers: You may bring a personal computer, but it’s not required. There are more than 1,400 up-to-date computers in labs throughout the campus, some of which can be found in KUB, MCHS, and BCH. All residence halls are wired for direct plug-in to the university network, along with wireless. Each room has two Ethernet connections. Personal computers must have Ethernet cards installed.

    Bedding: Blankets, sheets, pillowcases, bedspread/comforter, and mattress pads are required. Beds are standard twin size. Electric blankets are not permitted in the dormitories.

    Personal items: Suggested items include slippers/shower shoes, shower bucket, towels, soaps and shampoos, hair dryer, etc.

    Survival needs: Suggested items include alarm clock, cleaning supplies, first aid kit, clothes hangers, iron, laundry bag and detergent, phone, fan and the like.

    Extras: You may want to purchase can opener, drinking glasses, eating utensils (there is a kitchen in the hall), drying rack, masking tape, rainwear and umbrella, under-bed storage boxes, notepad for the door, and surge protector.

    Desk items: Scissors, dictionary and thesaurus, lamp (no halogen lamps, please), stapler, stationery, stamps, pens, pencils, and highlighters.

    Rental Insurance to cover personal property.

    Other: Camera, wastebasket (must be metal), book bags and swimwear.

    All of the above items may be purchased upon arrival at reasonable prices.

    Things to know ...

    • Students are permitted to work only on campus with approval of the Office of International Education Services.
    • Students are required to register with the Office of International Education Services every semester.
    • Undergraduate students are required to carry a minimum 12 credits and maximum of 18.
    • Graduate students are required to carry minimum 9 credits and maximum 15.
    • The Office of International Education Services hosts many multicultural activities. International and exchange students are encouraged to participate.
    • To apply for a tuition waiver, students must do so each semester. Application deadlines are provided on the tuition waiver application.
    • If international students leave the United States during a university break, the I-20 or DS-2019 must be signed and a Return to Country letter prepared. Please allow the Office of International Education Services one week processing time for letter preparation.
    • Students should check with the International Office for forwarded mail.
    • Students should check Bloomsburg University e-mail for various workshops, events and announcements.
    • If students have special worship needs, please inform the Office of International Education Services.

    DHS/USCIS Regulation: You must report your current address, telephone number, and other personal information to the Office of International Education Services and registrar's office. By not doing so, you will be considered “out of status.” The DHS/USCIS can inspect your personal information at any time. Therefore, any changes in your personal information MUST be reported IMMEDIATELY within 10 days.