You are here
Day of Graduation
Day of Graduation
Parking will be available throughout campus; earlier guests will be directed to park on lower campus. Limited reserved parking will be available for persons with disabilities. Please request assistance from the police officers covering the event to be directed to this area. Campus busses will run throughout the day to take guests to the Haas Center and return. Two full-size busses will be running from the Bloomsburg Hospital lot and also a shuttle from Honeysuckle, which will run the same route it does during the week. A handicapped shuttle bus will also be running.
Guests with Disabilities
Guests with disabilities can park in limited reserved parking areas behind Bakeless and McCormick. Please ask the university police to direct you to this parking. Wheelchair seating will be available with one additional attendee. Please arrive early to secure seating in these areas and, if needed, ask the officers or staff covering the event for assistance. Interpreters for the deaf and hard of hearing will be signing both ceremonies.
Colleges of Education and Liberal Arts
9:00 am Mitrani Hall will open for general seating
9:00 am Graduates begin to line up in the band room in Haas
9:45 am ALL seats available for guests (any seats being saved must be relinquished at this time)
10:00 am Platform party, faculty, graduates process
10:15 am Late seating for graduates and guests
11:30 am Approximate end of ceremony
Colleges of Business and Science & Technology
1:30 pm Mitrani Hall will open for general seating
1:30 pm Graduates begin to line up in the band room in Haas
2:15 pm ALL seats available to guests (any seats being saved must be relinquished at this time)
2:30 pm Platform party, faculty, graduates process
2:45 pm Late seating for graduates and guests
4:00 Approximate end of ceremony
Student Instructions for the Ceremony
- Although there is not a commencement dress code policy, it is suggested that men wear shirts with ties and dress pants; women wear dress clothes.
- Each participant must be attired in a black academic robe and matching cap with tassel (except those who chose to wear their military uniform). The robe should be pressed. Students may either wear your pre-purchased robe and cap with tassel, or robe upon arrival. It is inappropriate to attach flowers, signs, or messages on the gown or cap. The cap should be worn flat on the top of the head. The tassel should hang on the right side of the cap at the start of the program. Students who have received an honor cord/s should drape the cord/s around the neck and down the front of the gown.
- Be sure to bring the color-coded name card. If the name card is forgotten, one can be made at Graduation Information, located in the lobby of Centennial. Please write your name phonetically on the card if it is hard to pronounce.
- If there is another student you would like to sit next to during the ceremony, that person should be behind you in line, not next to you. Approximately 15 minutes before the ceremony is to begin, a university marshal will announce that the colleges will be processing and lead the graduates to Mitrani Hall.
- At the appropriate time in the ceremony, you will be directed by a university marshal to stand and where to walk to the stage to receive the diploma cover. (The actual diploma will be mailed to students after degrees are granted.) When students proceed to the stage, the color-coded index card is handed to a faculty reader who will announce the student’s names and honors if appropriate. Cross the stage, receive congratulations from the college dean, the university president, and finally the Board of Trustees designee who will present the diploma cover,a photo will be taken behind the stage before you receive your diploma cover. After you exit the stage, proceed back to the graduate seating area.
- Members of the graduating class and audience who leave during the ceremony distract not only from other audience members but also the people on the stage and are discourteous to those participants who have not yet crossed the stage. The audience is expected to remain in place until the platform party and faculty leave the stage at the conclusion of the ceremony.
- There will be university marshals and commencement staff available who will be directing students and assisting throughout the exercises. If a problem arises, speak with a marshal, commencement staff member, or university police for assistance.
- Fall Graduation Flow Guide