You are here
Often, students who violate the Student Code of Conduct are assigned community service hours as a way of giving back to the community, learn and grow from the experience.
BU's Dean of Students office strives to provide students with opportunities to participate in various service projects. Each semester, student standards selects several projects to support and offer to their students.
Tips on picking community service
- Do something you like! Pick a service project that will be meaningful to you. For example, if you are an education major, you might want to volunteer your time with children. If you like animals, contact the SPCA.
- Build your resume! Individuals looking at your resume do not need to know WHY you did the service. It's service nonetheless.
- Utilize your resources. There are a lot of places in the community and on campus that offer community service opportunities. Call them!
- Do not procrastinate! Get your service completed as soon as possible. Don't wait to try to fit in your service towards the end of your probation!
Guidelines for Community Service
- All required community service must be pre-approved. Approval can be obtained from the graduate assistant (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- All service must be completed in the Town of Bloomsburg, Columbia County, on the Bloomsburg University Campus, or be a Bloomsburg University sponsored service project (exceptions may be made but only with approval from the grad assistant).
- Required service cannot be completed with/for family members
- You may not receive compensation (monetary or otherwise) for community service rendered.