Chemistry and Biochemistry Programs of Study
BU's chemistry and biochemistry department offers both Bachelor of Science (BS) and Bachelor of Arts (BA) programs.
- BS in Chemistry — The BS in Chemistry also provides a broad exposure to all major areas of chemistry but without the research component. Students sometimes combine this with a major in another discipline.
- BS in Chemistry - ACS — The BS in Chemistry with ACS certification is the program most commonly pursued by chemistry majors at Bloomsburg. It provides a broad exposure to all major areas of chemistry as well as experience in chemical research. Students completing this program are well-prepared to pursue graduate studies or employment in industry.
- BS in Chemistry - Nanotechnology Option — Students interested in the science of nanotechnology will spend one semester at Pennsylvania State University, taking 18 credits of nanotech courses.
- BS in Chemistry - Biochemistry Option — Students interested in both biology and chemistry can pursue a specialized program in biochemistry. Both standard and ACS certified tracks are available.
- BS in Chemistry - Biochemistry Option - ACS — Students interested in both biology and chemistry who pursue this specialized program in biochemistry track also finish with ACS certification.
- BS in Chemistry - Biochemistry Option - Pre-Professionals — Students interested in attending a professional school after graduation will be interested in our Biochem Option for Pre-professionals.
- BS in Chemistry - Clinical Chemistry Option — A specialized program in Clinical Chemistry is offered in conjunction with nearby Geisinger Medical Center. Students complete the chemistry core courses in three years and then spend a clinical year in the laboratories at Geisinger.
- BS in Education - BA in Chemistry — Students interested in teaching high school chemistry pursue a program that awards them the equivalent of both a BS in Education and a BA in Chemistry. The program features a capstone course entitled The Chemistry Curriculum and the Teaching Laboratory, the only course of its kind in the State System.
- BA in Chemistry — The BA program provides a three year exposure to the core of the chemistry curriculum. Students can double major in chemistry and another discipline, or they can participate in the 3:2 program in engineering.
- Minor in Chemistry — A study of chemistry is a requirement of many of the sciences. Some science students extend their studies in chemistry by completing a minor.