Student Veterans Education Benefits Checklist
Recommend steps from a fellow student veteran.
- What do you want to study?
a. Contact the VA Certifying Official at each school to make sure they are approved by the VA.
b. Find Approved VA: Education Programs | 1-888-442-4551
- Apply for Admission
a. Check with each college you apply for specific requirements
b. Complete the Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA) and watch for deadlines!
c. Your FAFSA application determines your eligibility for low or no interest student loans as well as state and other federal grants.
- Compile all transcripts from previous colleges and any military training that can be evaluated for transfer credit.
Find your military transcripts:
a. Army/American Council on Education Registry Transcript System (AARTS)
b. Community College of the Air Force Transcript Request Forms (CCAR)
c. Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES)
d. Sailor/Marine American Council on Education Registry Transcript (SMART)
e. Coast Guard Transcripts
- Inquire about any required testing for placement, for example, math and foreign language programs
- Attend the school’s orientation process and learn about the following
a. Rules, Regulations, and Policies
b. Tutoring Sessions, Team Athletics, and Extracurricular Activities
c. Financial Aid
d. Housing Availability
- Consult an academic advisor
a. Register for classes
- Apply for GI Bill Benefits
- Contact OEF/OIF program manager at your local VA hospital for access to VA health care services and information on service-connected disabilities.
- Contact University Disability Services, if any services are needed
- If there is a student veteran club organized at your college or university?
a. If so, they can assist you in this process.
- Apply for Scholarships and grants
- Contact a local Veterans Service Officer if you need help filling out VA Forms