Queering Our World
November 6 - 8, 2015
Call for Program Proposals
We invite undergraduates, graduates, faculty, staff, and concerned civic activists to the Eighth Annual Mid-Atlantic LGBTQA Conference at Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania to explore the possibilities of queering our world. This theme encourages participants to consider what can be done to make our worlds livable for individuals who survive within LGBT*QQIAA+ communities wherever they exist.
Consider the following:
- A 2014 report by the Williams Institute finds that “LGBT youth are overrepresented in the juvenile justice system.”
- According a Report of the National Transgender Discrimination Survey conducted by the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force and The National Center for Transgender Equality, “transgender people are four time more likely to have household incomes of less than $10,000/year compared to the general population.”
- A survey conducted by the Human Rights Campaign of LGBT*QQIAA+ youth found that many respondents are “profoundly disconnected from their communities.” (“Growing Up LGBT in America,” 2012)
- At the Federal level and in many states it is still legally possible to deny goods & services, housing, and employment to LGBTQA+ individuals.
- Violent treatment of LGBT*QQIAA+ peoples globally continues to be a major concern in places like Russia, Egypt, and Jamaica (Human Rights Watch, 2014).
And though there are many illustrations of successes (i.e., Bloomsburg University has trans* housing options, Pennsylvania Governor Tom Wolf appointed Rachel Levine, a transwoman, to our state’s Physician General, 34 states legally recognize marriage equality, etc.), we need a space that allows us to imagine a world that is more humane and respectful of LGBT*QQIAA+ people and our communities.
Join us for 3 days of interactive discussion and presentations as we explore what it means to queer our worlds or to be queer in our world. We anticipate and encourage participation from undergraduates, graduates, faculty, staff, and civic leaders. Please do keep this wide range of audiences in mind as you craft your proposals and presentations.
We encourage a varied range of presentation formats that may include any but are not limited to the following:
- Round table discussions (3-4 participants discussing a single narrow topic, 40 minutes with 20 minutes for response and questions)
- Fishbowl or “staged” conversations (40 minutes with 20 minutes for response and questions)
- Workshops (60 minutes with a clearly articulated work plan for participants)
- Academic research panels (40 minutes for presentation 20 minutes for response and questions)
- Individual academic papers (10-15 minutes, to be included in a panel decided by the conference organizers)
- Performance Art (40 minute performance with 20 minutes for response and questions)
- Autoethnographic Narratives (40 minute performance with 20 minutes for response and questions)
- Visual Installations/Art (Technical support requirements/considerations should be included in proposal)
- Poster presentations for campus resources and support systems available at your campus or in your community
- Pedagogical innovations or teaching demonstrations that help undergraduates and graduates or communities understand queer world making.
Proposals will be evaluated based on quality, clarity, and relevance to the conference community by the Conference Committee.
We look forward to reading your proposals and seeing you at our Eighth Annual Conference this fall!
Proposal Deadline: July 31, 2015
Proposals should be submitted electronically via the form below.
Note: All sessions submitted by students should include the name of the Faculty Advisor.
Please email any questions, comments, and concerns to the Bloomsburg University LGBTQA Resource Center, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Presentation Space Accommodations
All sessions will be held in university classrooms which include the following equipment:
- Projection Screen
- Windows 7 Workstation w/Internet Access
- Document Camera
- Laptop Computer connection via standard VGA
- Wireless Internet Access